- ¾ cup uncooked rice (450 grams cooked rice)
- Olive oil spray
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 450 grams extra lean ground beef *Decrease the fat of this recipe by using ground chicken or turkey or make it vegetarian by using Beyond Meat plant-based ground
- 398 ml can black beans, washed and drained
- 398 ml can diced tomatoes, drained
- 35 g taco seasoning (1 package or you can make your own)
- 27 ml can green chilies
- 2 jalapenos, sliced (seeds removed to your preferred spice level)
- 70 grams aged cheddar cheese
- optional: cilantro
Optional: *use cooked minute rice to speed up the cooking time
This recipe can be stores in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Cook the rice.
- Lightly spray a large cooking pan or skillet with olive oil. Add in the minced garlic and chopped onions. Cook for 3-4 minutes over medium heat until tender and fragrant.
- While the onions and garlic are cooking, open up all the cans. Drain and rinse the beans. Drain the diced tomatoes. And grate the cheese.
- Add the ground beef to the pan with the onions and cook for 5 minutes until the beef is nearly done cooking.
- Mix in the taco seasoning.
- Mix in the black beans, diced tomatoes, green chilies, jalapenos and rice. Make sure all the ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- Turn off the stove. Sprinkle the grated cheese over top of the rice mixture and put a lid over your pan to let the cheese melt.
- Serve with chopped cilantro.
Top with additional cheese if desired!