I love chicken soup! Especially when the weather starts to get cool. This soup is so delicious that after I finished eating my first bowl I promptly announced that I wish I could go back in time so I could eat it again! No joke. But food is also bae! I went with rice instead of noodles because I felt it made the soup more hearty.
If you want to cut the prep time down skip steps 1-3 and add all ingredients (except brown rice) to your slow cooker. BUT, I personally think those extra 5 minutes are worth it!
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
Yields: 5 servings
Macros per serving: 17C/8F/14P
Calories per serving: 200
1/2 tbsp. butter
2 cloves garlic (minced)
1 medium onion (diced)
1 litre low sodium chicken broth
2 drumsticks (skin removed after cooking)
2 skinless chicken thighs
3/4 cup uncooked brown rice
500 ml water
3 celery sticks (chopped)
2 1/2 carrots (chopped) you can nibble on the other half while you cook!
1/2 zucchini (sliced into half moons)
1/2 tsp. dried parsley
1 tsp. oil
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste
- Add the olive oil and butter to a medium sized pan. When hot, add the onions and garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- Next, add in the celery and carrots and season with salt and pepper.
- When all the vegetables (except the zucchini) are cooked add them to your slow cooker.
- Then, add your chicken broth, water, chicken, bay leaf, dried parsley and sliced zucchini to the slow cooker. Basically add all the other ingredients except the rice to your slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 7 hours on low.
- After 7 hours, add the uncooked brown rice to the slow cooker and let the soup cook for 1 additional hour.
- When done, I personally like to remove all the chicken from the soup, remove the skin, bones and cartilage, shred it and add it back in (I added 5 minutes to the recipe just for this step).
- You can also add dehydrated vegetables (think dried soup mix without salt)
- Decrease the time by skipping the sautéeing process
- Add more stock if you like your soup more….soupy
- Don’t add too much more rice unless you also add more stock because it absorbs all the liquid
- This is a great meal to freeze and enjoy later