On a budget but want an easy healthy meal? Try this easy peasy shredded chicken salad! I suggest storing you vegetables separately from the meat to keep your vegetables fresh and prevent them from going soggy. Also, make sure to dry your lettuce and tomatoes really well!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 4 hours
Yields: 4 salads
400 grams chicken breast
1 liter low sodium chicken broth
Pepper, garlic powder or seasoning of choice.
Salad ingredients per serving:
4 cups lettuce/greens
¼ cup cherry tomatoes
3/4 cup chick peas
½ cup corn ( I defrosted and drained frozen corn to save money)
- Season chicken with pepper, garlic powder or your desired seasoning.
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Pour the chicken broth into the slow cooker. Make sure the chicken is covered with broth. Add more broth or water if necessary.
- Cook on high for 2 hours or 4 hours on low.
- After cooking, remove lid and use two forks to shred the chicken. Let the chicken sit for 5-10 minutes to absorb the chicken broth and seasoning (this will keep the chicken moist).
- Portion out 100 grams of chicken and serve with lettuce, cherry tomatoes, canned beans, canned corn and a top with fresh salsa or a low calorie dressing of your choice